MODS is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable environment for all its members, including pregnant players. MODS encourages all pregnant players to regularly discuss their decision to continue playing throughout their pregnancy with their obstetric care provider.
The following guidelines may assist players/teams when a pregnant player is involved. This information and guidelines will be reviewed annually and updated to be in line with related legislative changes.
- Pregnant individuals are increasingly seeking to continue participation in sports, including disc sports, throughout their pregnancy.
- There are many positive outcomes from continuing physical activity during and after pregnancy, however as maternal and fetal responses to exercise can vary with pre-gestational maternal fitness levels, co-existing medical conditions and/or pregnancy complications, all pregnant individuals are encouraged to seek individual medical advice before participating in physical activity.
- Further information on Pregnancy and Sport may be gained from the following journal article “2019 Canadian guideline for physical activity throughout pregnancy” from the British Journal of Sports Medicine.
- In Canada, legislation exists in relation to discrimination. This anti-discrimination legislation makes it unlawful to discriminate against someone based on pregnancy, subject to specific exemptions.
The Bottom Line
- Respect and support a pregnant athlete in the same way you would any other participant.