As you may be aware, on Friday October 16th, the Manitoba government announced that the COVID-19 test positivity rate is currently at 5.2% in Manitoba and 6.3% in Winnipeg. Manitoba currently has the highest per capita rate of active COVID-19 cases out of all the provinces, and we have observed an alarming growth in cases recently.
With the rise in cases that Manitoba is experiencing, and with similar program rollbacks in other indoor sports at this time, the Board of Directors has made the decision to suspend game play in Indoor Leagues for two weeks (until Sunday, November 1), which is in line with the tightening of restrictions that have been implemented by the province. Although this suspension was not explicitly mandated by the province, we are confident that given the available information this decision is in the best interests of our community at this time. There will be a prorated reimbursement of league fees for this two-week period, which will be paid either by refund to the original form of payment, by way of credit to future league fees, or it can be donated to support MODS at this time, at the election of the payor. More on this below.
We will be able to see, over the next two weeks, whether Manitoba experiences a decrease in COVID-19 cases. MODS will also be using the two-week period to assess whether Indoor Leagues should commence in accordance with our protocols, or whether further adjustments are required - including potential league cancellation. If you have any questions or comments, please reach out as we do value your feedback.
Because the Board continues to assess the viability of running Indoor League programming, the prorated league fee reimbursement will not be processed immediately. If a decision is made regarding Indoor League over the next two weeks that results in additional reimbursement being payable, we will process all reimbursements at one time. Accordingly, MODS staff will be in touch regarding reimbursements after November 1. This delay in league play does not change the league start date for the purposes of the MODS refund policy. This policy is being reviewed in the COVID-19 context as part of the deliberations over the next 2 weeks.
We thank you for your support and hope that you are all keeping safe.
MODS Board of Directors